Sunday, August 31, 2008

Where am I?.....Soft? Making a come back? Expectations too high?

Where am I? Soft? Making a come back? Expectations too high?


This morning was my first 4 hour ride in a long time and one that had not challenged me since the lead up to Ironman...to be blunt...It shattered me!


The ride took us out to Ipswich and back (thank God not the same way as we went out)


I made the decision to ride to the Chalk and then home after the squad ride to ensure that I made up the 4hrs.


Stats for ride there:

Stats for the main ride:



Stats for the ride home:

Session Reflections:

  • It is a day off Spring and the morning are certainly a little warmer...no leg warmers this morning. However, Spring brings out those mad Magpies and I'm sure I have offended them already this season because I was attacked twice this morning....once at Ipswich and then again on my way home...this guy got flesh!

The ride...well....

  • I think frustrating would be the best way to describe my cycling efforts this morning...there are a number of things that need to be reflected upon in terms of this frustration:
  • These points of frustration are all aimed at myself and piss poor attitude I have had of late in terms of training!
  • Is it just a matter of 'hardening up' or there is more....I tend to believe it is more....
  • This is my first major ride of this intensity since before Ironman in April...up to now the intensity of the rides have been quite low level. The hills were relentless!
  • My weight is of concern and I have decided....I just need to shed the kilos...NOW! I have proven that my performance improves with less weight to carry around.
  • Core....to be frank....my attitude toward core has been crap! Of the many sessions of core set in my program not many have been completed....NO MORE!
  • The leg strength was lacking.....and toward the end of the ride they were very fatigued and I would drop off the back quite regularly....in fact this happened throughout the ride.
  • Nutrition and hydration was not controlled as I would normally do......the 15/30 rule was not applied effectively and I think this was a cause of some of the late fatigue.

Overall a disappointing and poor ride! It has been a real kick up the bum! If I am the achieve my goals for this season then the rot stop here and NOW....time to GET SERIOUS!

2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up mate! That was a very tough ride for me too!! The only way I managed to make it was with the red bull at the servo.

    My suggestion would be to get the Ironman group out together soon and let the free wheeling group do as they please ;-)

    Cheers
    One beat up Canuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard....just need to get back into it I think.

    ReplyDelete