Sunday, September 23, 2007

Transition Session

Days to Australian Ironman 2008 - 197
Days to GC Half Ironman 2007 - 7


Today's Journal
It was a trip down to Queens beach at Redcliffe for the Squads transitions session this morning. The session involved the squad completing 3 sets of a shorten swim/bike/run course. For the first set I started with the wetsuit just to have one last 'hitout' with it before the race next weekend. The swim was about 200m in the open water, got into transition and got out of the wetsuit (not a bad effort getting it off under pressure). Then onto the bike....well.....what a disaster....I had my shoes on the bike and struggled for about 500m to get my feet securely in the shoes. Every time I went to put my feet in the shoes they would catch on the tongue of the shoe and push the tongue into the shoe...arrgh! For the GCHIM I will use these shoe but I think I will investigate purchasing a pair of Shimano TR50 for the upcoming shorter races. Completed the bike leg and then into T2, no problems there! The run was a short sharp flat course. Back into transition and around again. The swim I found a lot easier the 2nd and 3rd time....needed to get the heart rate up I suppose. This was the same case for the ride and run. I felt a lot better in the 2nd and 3rd sets. I did struggle at times to get my wet feet into the running shoes, mainly due to the amount of sand on my feet. TIP - (thanks Gary) make sure I have a water bottle in Transition to wash my feet off...even better and easier a small container where I could just dip my feet in.

The session was very worthwhile, its was last season since I really had the experience of the T1 and T2 for the 3 legs in the triathlon. It was good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment