Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year...2010.....63 days

Happy New Year!

What a great new year it is going to be!

As of today it is 63days until I embark on my 3rd IM and I am beginning to become quite excited, but in the same breath, I have a lot of hard training hours ahead. Bring it on!

This morning started with a renewed enthusiasm where I was out on the training paddock for an easy 45min run through the hills.


Session Reflections
  • It was hot and humid.
  • 8.30am is a little late for a run at this time of year, the sweat was happening early and the fatigue was setting in a little early. This was again particularly due to the fact that I hadn't eaten before the session.
  • Really focused on the 'easy' part of the session but when you have continuous hills it is hard work and I began to feel that at times I was actually going back wards and the legs were becoming quite fatigued by the 30min mark, but I had a dose of reality (and a teaspoon of cement) and pushed on.
  • These runs at this stage are really about setting small achievable goals to get my 'running' fitness back. I need to be patient, I need to remember that I had close to 3 months off running and the fitness is not just going to return with a 'swish' of a wand.
  • Today's small achievable goals involved jogging up and 'through' the hills and if required taking a few walking moments to recover a little on the down side of the hill. This worked well in recovering the legs and minimised the pounding on the legs and back which is a part of descending the inclines.
  • Home and it was straight into a 10min stretch then into a 12 min ice bath. The ice bath is something that really seems to reinvigorate the legs and assists in the recovery process.

The weekend ahead is a big one so the recovery of the legs is important with a 60-75min run through the C.Hills tomorrow and a 4 to 4.5hr ride on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment