Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mooloolaba Race Report

Mooloolaba Trithlon Festival
Friday
Left work and mad my way up to Mooloolaba arriving at about 5.00pm and Mooloolaba Motel, the accomodation was the typical motel type and would do the job for the weekend. Didn't do a lot Friday evening, watched a bit of the ASICS Twilight 5km Run. Dinner was pasta and garlic bread and went off to bed quite early. Was concerned that I had woken on Friday morning feeling a little fluey.

Saturday
Got up at about 6.30am, organised a bit of breakfast and then decided to go back to bed. Was up again at about 9.00am and went for a walk around to take in the atmosphere. It was getting close to the start of the 1000m Ocean Swim and people were preparing, the conditions were fabulous this morning and I was finding myself drawn to having a go at the swim myself...for 2 reasons practice working through the wave breaks (in and out) and to gain some confidence in an ocean swim, which I had never done before. At 9.45am, 30minutes before the registrations closed I decided I would give it a 'crack' paid my $30.00 and rushed back to the Motel to get some gear together.
Back at the beach I had a bit of a warm up swim and was feeling good. I just had to remember that this is just a training swim and the time etc. did mean anything.
At about 10.30am we were off...a reasonable sized field. Got through the wave breaks, a number of small gutters had to be negotiated. I just then spent a little time adjusting to the conditions of ocean swimming. Made the first bouy and turned for the beach again. Through the wave breaks and then back out to the next bouy. Took a little time to compose myself at the beach turn as I was feeling it a little.
Eventually I got to the finish in a time of 22.12. Was happy with this experience as I achieved both goals I set out to achieve....practice working through the wave breaks (in and out) and to gain some confidence in an ocean swim.
About 1.oopm took my bike down to transition and place it in a reasonably good spot...with a bit of room to move...there were some areas were it was a little tight for room.
Had a bite to eat and a nana nap then ventured off to the Ryders Cycling Grand Prix. When I was there met up with other folks from the squad.
Organised all my gear and nutrition for the race...bags packed all I needed to do in the morning is pick up my bag and walk the 200m to transition.
Dinner was again pasta and garlic bread and then off to bed early...8.30pm....

Sunday (...race day...)
The alarm went off at 4.30am, up and changed into my blue tri suit. Had the usual breakfast before a big race...a bottle of sports drink, banana and museli bar.
5.30am made my way down to transition
5.40am set up transition
6.00am Drop excess gear off
6.10am Walk to Swim Start
6.45am Swim - Warm-up
7.17am Race Start


Swim Leg
Lined up at the start with quite a number of guys for the 35-39 (white caps)...it was a big wave...it would be an interesting start. Talking to PC before the start he mentioned that there was a bank to the right of the start compound and it would be beneficial to get as far right at the start...I wasn't the only one to have that idea. The hooter went off and there was a mass of bodies working their way though the surf. Up to the first bouy there was a lot of jostling for space..I certainly took a few wacks to the head and body. The plan was to swim from one bout to the next. Once round this bouy we began to swim parallel to the beach, people began to find there own space to settle into a rythmn. The first couple of hundred meters past the 1st bouy was a real struggle until I found that rythmn. Throughout the swim I focussed on my technique and staying relaxed...the swim on Saturday assisted with the confidence. At times, due the the undulations of the water it was difficult to find the next bouy. Overall I quite enjoyed the ocean swimming. Turned that last bouy and headed back to the beach.
Swim Time - 0:22:47
Once out of the water it was an interesting run up the beach, up a set of stairs and then down to transition.
Transition 1 Time - 0:02:55
This year did not require the use on a number belt for the ride...1 less thing to worry about.
A good clean transition...
Bike Leg
With a good transition and smooth mount, I was off on the 40km cycle leg. The first thing to negotiate was the Budrium hills...not that far out of transition...in fact on a couple of minutes.
The course profile is as follows:

The race was coming together well, there was no real relief initially on the bike from the swim as we had to endure the hills of buderium before getting on to the motor way. Once onto the motorway it was taking in some fluid and about the Maroochy stretch taking on a Gel. After this it was down in the aerobars and finding a rythmn and cadence that could be maintained throughout the rest of the bike leg.

The plan was to take in a gel every 45 min throughout the race. This meant that I took 2 in the bike leg, one as I said at the Maroochy outbound stretch and again on the inbound stretch. Throughout I took on liquid every 15minutes either sports drink or water.

Towards the end of the motorway stretch I back off a little to conserve some energy for climb back over the Buderim hills. The incline to take you off the motorway comes up on you quickly if you are not prepared for it.

Overall wrapped with the time and my overall performance.

Bike Time - 1:10:08

Transition 2 Time - 0:01:29

Transition was reasonable, it is first time I ran a race ( at 10km) using elastic laces and no socks

Run Leg

I began the run leg at about 9.00am and you could start to feel it warming up. Off on the 10km run was feeling relaxed and positive, konwing that I had a challenging run ahead. I Averaged approx. 4.30min/km pace throughout. The final climb over Alex Headland is always a challenging one..even though feeling quite fatigued just put one foot in front of the other, knowing that it was down the other side to the finish.

By this stage the 'running without sock experiment' had begun to take its toll both feet were beginning to rub and get sore...but I powered through this to do a PB time for the run (in fact every leg was a PB and the overall time)

Run Time - 0:46:24

Finishing with a total time of: 2:23:25
I was really happy, this was way below my goal time of 2:30:00 and 13mins under last years time. It shows that all the training does pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment