Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bribie Race 4 - Race Report

Today was the last 'little' hitout before Ironman 09.

The race was 750m (Swim), 20km (Cycle) and 5km (Run).

The day started off well with the normal routine for Bribie. (I know it wouldn't surprise people but I have a routine for regular race venues...like Bribie)

Arrived at the transition precinct nice and early, racked the bike and prepared myself for a 'frolic' around Bribie. There was a short walk down to the swim start (no oil on this side of Bribie). I was in Wave 9 so there was a bit of a wait, but it wasn't long before the hooter went off and we were off on the 750m swim in very flat, calm conditions. The attitude for the race was to go hard...or go home! My swim effort was at well above IM pace and I was pushing hard. At times maybe a little too hard as I went off course a couple of times...but nothing major, back on course and I exited the water with a swim time of approx. 12min.

T1 was short and sweet.....not bad really for someone who at times can have a 'moment' in transitions...again there were no gadgets...no HR...no Garmin!

Out on the bike and again I was going for broke!

20km....in approximately 32min (officially 34:03 which includes T2)

Good ride....push hard throughout, perfect conditions...no wind...just a little 'bike' traffic but it was an ideal morning for the bike. Bike chain ring, aero helmet, aero legs.....great time...really enjoyed the ride.

Into transitions, this was the quickest T2 I think I have ever done....even impressed myself.

One of the goals this season was to improve the time in T1 and T2 and I definitely think I have achieved this goal. The big 'move forward' with this goal was ditching the gadgets.....wow!!!!

Out on the run and again I was going for broke...5km....I was feeling unstoppable.....again worked to a perceived effort throughout the run and 'the voice' didn't get a say in anything at all!!!

Ran a consistent pace throughout...there were no surges or reduced efforts.....the consistency was spot ON!! Another focus point achieved....CONSISTENCY!!

Finished strong.....felt not bad at all.....(yesterday I had a 5hr ride and didn't feel any effects of this in the race this morning) Compared to this time last year I was struggling a little...I believe I have a good foundation (base) for this years IM.

Officially I was wrapped top 10 in my category.....1hr 7min about the same time as last year but in terms of effort...less effort was required to achieve the same and I would say better than last years result.

No comments:

Post a Comment