Sunday, March 22, 2009

2 Weeks out.......Reflections!

It is now 14 days out from Ironman and again it is time to reflect on my preparation and training in my journey towards IM 09.

Injuries:

  • The shin pain and soreness has subsided to nothing at all. I would credit this to the massage /physio treatment I am now getting twice a week. The treatment that I am receiving is intensive massage and physio to my legs.

  • The stretching has also improved this week. I am stretching is now occurring every day or every second day.

Weight and Diet:

  • The weight is fluctuating between 82.5 to 83kg.

  • The key to the weight is the advantage I can get with the weight as low as possible for the running side of things. The table below show what an advantage reducing your weight can be over the length of a marathon 42.2km

  • I am still using Endura Optimizer and finding that it aides in my recovery throughout these tough training days.

  • I also have been taking Endura Maintain (which is a protein supplement) for the last 7days in the evening. This was something I did last IM campaign and found some advantages in utilising this sort of supplement.

Training - Swimming

  • The swimming continues to be 'solid'. I believe I am on track for a sub 65min swim for IM. This would be great if I can achieve this as I have really worked hard throughout this campaign to gain improvements.
  • The effort require to achieve swimming goal is reducing therefore it should be holding me in 'good stead' for the bike.
  • The mental state within the swimming side of things isn't bad, but you do have the troughs and peaks and I have certainly experience this over the last 2 weeks.
  • At times the drills and speed work just get too much, this could have more to do with being tired, sore and lethargic (and mentally drained)

Training - Cycle

  • The cycling is one thing that I have been struggling with, physically I believe that I am prepared and ready for the race, however, I think there is this little thought in my mind that I could have prepared a bit better, especially in term of my hill 'expertise'. But on the other hand I know I have done the hard work...and am as prepared for the race as I have ever been. I believe that my preparation has been a lot more intense and thorough compared to last year. The years preparation has included a lot more strength work (hills) and I mean a lot more.
  • Last week the bike went in for a service. There were a number of issues which included the replacement of the bottom bracket and a new chain.
  • The bike is performing nicely now that it has had the service.

Training - Run

  • I have been really happy with the run, again it has been a little more intense in terms of strength work. Lots more hills than last year. Feel a lot stronger than last year.
  • The legs of late, have been quite sore and I have had a lot of niggles. I am thinking that this week is important to 'get the legs right'. The massages and physio might need to be decreased a little as they appear to aggravate these niggle and 'at this stage' probably isn't going to give me any advantage.
  • There are no issues with my shoes.
  • Now using visors during the run.

Training - The Mental Game

  • We have now had one week of taper. All the hill sessions both bike and run are completed, the longer swim session are no more. Its now about maintain the physical fitness until IM, 14 days away.
  • Mentally this can be a rather tough time, mainly due to the fact that you are no longer going to gain too much benefit out of the session over the next 14 days, if fact in terms of your training you are ready to go. It is that issue, I struggle with, I am ready now! So lets race...lets get it over and done with. You get to a stage mentally that you feel it is time and in fact the time is NOW...not in 14 days. But in saying that, the next 14days are very important in revitalising the mind and body.
  • For me (this time round) I think this time will be very important in revitalising both. The body as I mentioned earlier is struggling a little with a few (non race threatening) niggles, all in fact in the left leg...hmmmmm.
  • It is the mind that I am needing a bit of maintenance on. These 14 days will involve a lot of motivational therapy, which will include watching some IM DVD's, listening to some motivational music and reflecting on my race from last year, which includes watching that DVD.
  • The other mental prep is to begin visualising what I am going to do throughout the race. I believe that visual and conceptual preparation is soooo important. It may sound very 'out there' but in terms of efficiently and effectively carrying out the race strategy it is vital. Visualising what you are going to do when you get into T1 or conceptualising the strategy for the swim leg.

Preparation Progress:

  • These 2 weeks are now all about finalising the race strategy and ensuring that as an athlete you have all the gear you need for the race.
  • I have again developed my IM race checklist.

The following ideas are currently a definate for the race:

  • Running with a visor
  • Using Jaggad gear, with the removable chamois, no need for the 2nd pair of knicks.
  • Timex HR monitor to be used throughout the race.
  • The Garmin will only be used on the Run.
  • Brook shoes
  • Using Endura energy bars

1 comment:

  1. Looking at your KPI's on the side, I do believe you have nailed these. This and the solid training you've put in, I will enjoy hearing about your victory once I get my glow-sticks and cross the line.

    Keep your head high, you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete