Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1, 2010 - The start of a new challenge.....again

May 1, 2010, it's a Saturday and for once I have done very little and gone nowhere significant. A day of rest, the Tour de Tri is tomorrow. However, there has been other excitement. There is always excitement when you mention Ironman Triathlon to me.....it's an addiction....but when it's one that keeps you fit and healthy...it's and enjoyable addiction.

At 12.00pm today, entries to both IM Australia and IM New Zealand went on sale. At the beginning of the day I was still very confused and disillusioned with the whole IM sport and the way in which it appears to be going...it's big business...why shouldn't the world triathlon corporation take advantage of one of the fast growing sports going around at the moment. I was still very undecided when and where the next IM race would be for me. As many of you are aware this 'game' is not a cheap and the addiction needs to be fed with races (either IM or HIM distances) to keep the passion and love of the sport going. So, after much deliberation at about 4pm today I enter IM Australia for May 1, 2011. This is crazy! You have to enter a race a year in advanced...wow....and it had to be today as it had the potential to sell out in a day. At 4pm when I decided to enter the entries were at 70 % and not long ago the race actually did sell out....this is crazy. When I turn up for IM Australia next year I will basically need my $700.00 entry fee with me to enter on the Monday if I want to race IM OZ in 2012. It is getting an expensive addiction to maintain...but if you enjoy something then you normally will budget to find a way to make it happen.
In IM OZ I will be racing in a new age group.....40-44, even though I will be still 39...but they take you age as of December 31, 2010.....and I guess they like to age you quickly in triathlon. Well, does it, make my chances for qualifying for Kona any better....the true answers is....who really does know....but I am sure going to give it my best shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment