Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week 17 - The Week in Review

"Triathlon, from the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it."

How true!

Week 17, the end of 3 weeks of hard work, but fulfilling work in the pool.

Monday:
With a busy Monday morning planned the unusual morning swim didn't happen and the plan was to transfer it to later on in the week. I was really disappointed to miss this swim, and I mean that sincerely.

Monday afternoon back into the core same routine and surprisingly it is slowly getting a little easier. But in the humidity it is hard work.

Tuesday:
In the early daylight hours it was off to BTS run session. It was the normal warm up but then......
approx. 25min of fartlek on a not so flat loop course. I am sure that every time I got the recovery it was going up the hill....can't complain...it was character building. I felt good this morning the legs were moving well and I was powering through the hard parts of the fartlek. Got a little fatigued to the end but gritted the teeth and carried on, no giving up here. Some feedback from the session was that as I fatigued I began to splay out my feet a little during this time. More work on the core and greater focus on my posture, specifically hip position.

Back in the pool for the evening. A solid 3km session. The body is feeling good in the water.

Wednesday:
Solo Brendale/Petrie/Redcliffe/Sandgate Loop.
80k just under 3hrs.
The legs were a little fatigued and did struggle at the end some of the longer gradual hills.

Wednesday PM back into the pool, for a tough upper body 3.3km workout. Great session John! Nothing like a solid pull and paddle set.

Thursday:
Thursday....IT'S Double swim DAY!
The morning set...the usual 100m's with 5 push ups but today it was ramped up to 25 x 100m. Really good session got through the whole session in approx. 50min and there wasn't a lot of fatigue in the arms towards the end of the session.

Evening session was a cool 4km in the pool. I was in early and got 1300m completed before the squad session. This pre workout was pull and paddle and it was feeling good....and it was with tumble turns!!!

Friday:
You guessed it....back in the pool.
3.5km endurance set.....feeling so good...feeling strong....added an extra 500m for good measure...total workout 4km.
PM session back to the core...and again I am enjoying the challenge of this. Same routine. The abs and core are starting to feel it and have been working hard. This is a real focus for this campaign.

Saturday:
The morning was a bit of variety. Down to New Farm park for the BTS Session which composed 40min core and then a 60min aerobic run. Not too sure its was exactly aerobic but its was a great run! Thanks boys! The average pace was around the 4:45min/km covering just over 12km in the 60min. A good negative split of around 30sec. The running is feeling good and I'm feeling strong, however, in saying that I did struggle with the last 2km, but even then I was going at a 4:30min/km pace.

Off for a massage at lunch, worked on a painful spot just behind the left calf and the upper hamstring.

The afternoon session was another 60min run. Got through another 12km at a pace round the 5min/km, felt strong but knew I was a little fatigued from the run in the morning but still achieved a consistent pace. 30m05sec out and 30m10sec back. A solid day of running - 24km.

Sunday:
ah...yes Sunday ride...10 BTS lads set off from Kedron....rode out to Dayboro and back to Petrie.
The legs were feeling the 24km of running from the Saturday but still work as hard as I could up the hills and was satisfied with this part of the ride. It was fairly ordinary conditions on this part of the ride but this was nothing compared to what I was to encounter for the last part of the ride. Once the group got back to Petrie we had only been going for 2hrs and I had a 4hr ride. I continued on out to Redcliffe...it was from there the conditions became a lot worse....in fact crossing the bridge I would say that the conditions were 'cyclonic' a 'very nice' head wind that was gusting at times and with 60mm rims on the bike was a particularly challenge. The rain was coming down...I could only see about 5m in front of me...a great resistance workout! All the way home it was torrential rain, I got home and was so wet...was worse then GCHIM!!
Total time 4h23m and 118km

Weekly Stats:




Swim: 16.8km (5h53m)
Cycle: 198km (7h20m)
Run: 35km (3h07m)
Core: 2h25m
Maintenance: 1hr

Total: 19h45m

No comments:

Post a Comment